We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her, he/him, they/them, etc).
Bumble is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our team and assist us in using data science to deliver effective results as part of our people recommendations team.
The role will be focussed on driving improvements to the recommender systems that underpin our brands. You will have a direct impact on bottom line metrics whilst accounting for individual user preferences. With millions of images and messages exchanged on our platform every day, there is a wealth of opportunity to make a real difference in this role and help people to find love all over the world!
- Identity individual user preferences and determine how these can be best accounted for in the algorithm.
- Understand the existing technical infrastructures in place and their limitations in order to determine the most appropriate way forward to implement a model.
- Establish an improved process and infrastructure in order to deploy recommender models on production.
- Proactive in identifying areas for improvement to the people recommendation systems along with the ability and drive to take action on this.
- Be a key contributor to the direction of the people recommendations product roadmap from a machine learning perspective.
- Establish and develop appropriate monitoring infrastructure for production models.
- Leading on significant technical advancements and ways of working for the people recommendations team.
- Collaborate with both non-technical and technical teams.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Extensive experience and knowledge of recommender systems with two-sided preferences (two-sided is essential).
- Solid technical knowledge and confident in terms of programming and scripting (strong Python essential).
- Demonstrable experience implementing machine learning models from initial conception right through to the final productionalised model.
- Strong knowledge in additional areas of data science such as computer vision and NLP.
- Proven ability to translate complex concepts into a digestible format understood by non-technical stakeholders. Able to work with high autonomy, balancing short term deliverables with longer term projects.
- Degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Machine Learning or similar.
- Enjoy keeping up to date with the state of the art in recommender systems and have a passion for applying your knowledge to solve real-life use cases impacting millions of users.
- You think about ethics in AI, the impact of machine learning on society, and want to bring that to bear your work.
- You are innovative and inspired to take on new challenges.
- An enthusiasm for mentoring and sharing knowledge within the rest of the team.
- Have an interest in contributing to the data science community both internally in Bumble and externally in MeetUps and conferences.
With over 700 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
Flexible working hours
Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
‘Random Coffee’ - connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
‘First Fridays’ - meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!
About Bumble Inc.: Bumble Inc. is the parent company of Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s highest-grossing dating apps with millions of users worldwide. The Bumble platform enables people to connect and build equitable and healthy relationships. Founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014, the Bumble app was one of the first dating apps built with women at the center, and the Badoo app, which was founded in 2006, was one of the pioneers of web and mobile dating products. Bumble currently employs over 600 people in offices in Austin, Barcelona, London, and Moscow. For more information, please visit: https://team.bumble.com/